Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bear Sweater Pattern

One of the charities that my knitting guild participates in is called Precious Pals.  Stuffed animals are dressed in knitted clothing and donated to the local police department for giving to children in crises situations.  At the guild meeting last month I had a conversation with another knitter who was having trouble with a sweater pattern for one of these animals.  The pattern was very frustrating because it was more difficult than it should have been.  So I wrote up a simple pattern. I call it a "Beary Easy Sweater". (I thought it was a cute name).  Anyway, it's suitable for a beginning knitter.  Hope you like it.


Beary Easy Sweater
















Seamless sweater for a 10 inch bear
Materials: worsted weight yarn about 40 yards,
needles US 7 (4.5 mm), 4 markers 
Gauge 18 stitches = 4 inches

Begin at neck edge: Cast on 30 stitches.
Rows 1 & 2: Knit
Row 3: (WS) Knit 2, Purl 4, place marker, Purl 4, place marker, Purl 10, place marker, Purl 4, place marker, Purl 4, Knit 2
Row 4: (RS) increase row *Knit to stitch before marker, knit in the front and back of that stitch (Kfb), slip marker, Kfb, repeat from * 3 times, knit to end of row. 8 stitches increased.
Row 5: K2, P to last 2 stitches, K2
Row 6: *K to stitch before marker, Kfb, slip marker, Kfb, repeat from * 3 times, K to end of row.
Repeat rows 5 & 6 five more times. (86 stitches)
Row 17: (WS) K2, P to next marker, K to next marker, P to next marker, K to next marker,
P to last 2 stitches, K2
Row 18: K to marker, Bind off 18 stitches, K to next marker, Bind off 18 stitches , K to end
Row 19: K2, Purl to last 2 stitches joining fronts and back, K2. (50 stitches)
Rows 20 - 24 : Continue knitting on the right side and purling on the wrong side, keeping the first 2 and last 2 stitches in knit stitch.
Row 25: (WS) Knit
Bind off.
Weave in ends.

Abbreviations: K- Knit, P-Purl, RS- right side, WS-wrong side, Kfb- knit in the front and back of the stitch

Please use this pattern for charity or personal use.
OC Knitter October 2010

10 comments:

sharonek said...

iveHi OCK - I wanted to let you know I just knit this up for my grandson. He is not yet 3, and has a "baby bear" he carries around. He told me Baby Bear is cold - freezing cold - when he takes him outside because he does not have a jacket. I found your pattern and some yarn leftover from a hat I just finished and made him the sweater right away. He told me Baby Bear loves his sweater and now will be all warm and cozy when they go outside. Thanks a lot from a knitter in Canada!

OC knitter said...

Thank you for sharing that. What a thoughtful grandson you have, and he has a caring grandmother!

Alix Knit said...

Thanks for the pattern, it was my first sweater, bear was smaller so I halved everything and it came out great and only took an hour. It helped me to understand how sweaters are knitted as well, so soon I may try a people sized one.

OC knitter said...

Glad you liked the pattern, it's a good way to learn top down raglan construction. Yes, by all means try a people sized sweater!

Unknown said...

This is exactly the sweater look I want to make, but not sure how to up-size and make it bigger. How do I measure the size of my bear? Yours was 10" and how did you determine that size? The bear I have is large, measuring 17" around the chest, and 16" from the top of the head to the tail. I'd like to knit with sz 8 needles and worsted weight yarn. Such a cute pattern, and would really suit my needs. Here's hoping you're still an active knitting blogger in 2017, 7 years after your original post date!

OC knitter said...

Hi Helen, Yes, I'm still here! I measured my bear around the chest. To up-size the pattern the principle is the same. These numbers are based on a gauge of 4 stitches per inch. I did the math but did not test this. Cast on 46 stitches, Row 3 would be K3,P5(front),P8(sleeve),P14(back), P8(sleeve),P5,K3(front). Do the increases until fronts are 18, sleeves are 28, and back is 34. 126 stitches. A longer needle may be needed to fit all the stitches. On row 20 you would bind off 28 stitches instead of 22.
70 stitches after you join the fronts and the back. Hope this helps.

Frankie said...

Been making these for our Teddy Bear Tea fundraisers at Xmas! Such a nice pattern. And fwiw it fits 18” dolls like American Girl too (some kids bring dolls instead of bears to tea). I’d post a picture but not sure how.

Frankie said...

(I added a stretchy bind off to the bottom and sleeves for a ruffle look)

Scottish Granny said...

My daughter is a teacher and wanted teddy jumpers to dress teddies so her pupils had a comfort toy as needed. I am going to knit this in her school colours. Cant wait to get started. should get it done tomorrow during Corrie!!

Betty said...

That is absolutely adorable. I'm sure a lot of people are going to get some good use out of your pattern. Many thanks for sharing and for making it so appealing, yet simple.